Re: Xemacs needs a real maintainer

On 10 Mar 2004, jmarant@free.fr wrote:

>> I forget to add one important thing of course, the Xemacs package
>> system which allows on the fly actualization. Emacs has nothing
>> similar.
>
> According to what I read, it is not a missing feature, it is an
> unwanted feature. I'm personaly happy with packages provided as
> debian packages, so i don't need to grab the big bunch of packages I
> don't use (emacs21-support or alike).

Just a moment,

Maybe  we are  talking about   different things, Xemacs  comes  with a
package styem comprable  to the debian system,  that is only core lisp
packages  are shipped,  addtionally pkg  have to  be installed with  a
utility called  PUI. So the Xemacs user  does not have to download the
lisp files,  unpack them, and byte compile  it. Now like a debian user
he just grab  install and  then upgrade  the package he  wishes.  As a
debian user you *should* love this.

Now you mean an unwanted feature for  the Emacs people? well sometimes
the additional lisp packages shipped with  Emacs are quite old, in one
case gnus   more that 1  1/2 years  old.

Or you mean for the debian people?

In both case I disagree. For debian you can see that some package are
just not up to date, and besides this is just doubled work and not
necessary.

Uwe