Re: Xemacs needs a real maintainer

On 9 Mar 2004, jmarant@nerim.net wrote:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> You are kidding? Xemacs is still in some ways superior to emacs and
>> giving up Xemacs is making debian *less* attractive.
>
> Just curious. Any example of how XEmacs is in some ways superior to
> Emacs? (this is a serious question). Thanks.
1. The graphics and fonts: I use a package which allows me to display
   mathematical formlas in semi-WYSIWYG way, called x-symbol. It works
   now, after 6 years in emacs, but still it works better (at least
   when I tested it last time) in xemacs than in emacs.
2. Mule: Xemacs still has the option of a mule free version, so
   avoiding any crashed due to coding problems.
3. Mail: the excellent vm package worked without problems in both
   emacs version till version 19.34, (* years ago). Now it works more
   or less with the emacs version (the problem is the mule
   implementation of emacs) but still attached graphics are not as
   nicely displayed if at all as they are in xemacs.
4. Toolbars, there are a couple of nice packages enhancing the
   toolbar, alas they only work with xemacs.