Re: future of emacs20

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> wrote:

> Still, the fact that some users want to staick with emacs20 forever
> doesn't mean it has to be a Debian package.  :-)
> Although having it work with all the packaged elisp stuff is a good
> thing.

One thing I've wanted before is the ability to integrate my own locally
built version of emacs into the packages elisp stuff. On one system
(that I don't have any more), I'd hacked up various files to give me a
"xemacs21-local" flavor of xemacs21. If there were some documentation or
general support for doing such things, it might make it easier to support
emacs20 (or pre-release emacs23 in the future or whatever) on individual
systems without over-complicating the Debian package maintenance issues.

Is that anywhere close to doable/reasonable?

Scott