Re: future of emacs20

Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:
> > I'm not a great fan of orphaning complicated packages.  Are there users
> > that need emacs20 because emacs21 is broken for some things?
>
> From what I've seen on the emacs groups, it's mostly people who are
> very conservative about changing what works, and those who dislike the
> `new fangled' look of emacs 21.

I agree.  Now that you mention, I recall of lot of such posts.

> I expect the latter group could largely be satisfied by a guide to
> turning off the various new features of emacs 21 that they dislike
> (perhaps the debian site file could even have an `emacs20ify' function);

That's a good idea.  And a lot less work than maintaining emacs20!

> I think the one sticky point is that unless you use `emacs -nw', turning
> off the [left] fringe is not entirely equivalent to the old emacs
> overflow-indicator column.

Yeah.

Still, the fact that some users want to staick with emacs20 forever
doesn't mean it has to be a Debian package.  :-)
Although having it work with all the packaged elisp stuff is a good
thing.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm not sure Debian would be well
served by an orphaned emacs20 package maintained by QA.

I hope this helps a little Rob...

Peter