Re: Time to intensify Weblate usage (Was: The Norwegian Bokmål translation team move from Transifex to Weblate)

Hi Mike,

Mike Gabriel schreef op do 14-02-2019 om 14:28 [+0000]:
> Hi Frans,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> On  Mi 13 Feb 2019 17:23:13 CET, Frans Spiesschaert wrote:
>

> > I use frans_ as my nickname (frans not being available any more).
>
> Ok, noted. But let's stick to email for now.
>

> > I'm completely fine with you taking over Weblate coordination and I
> > am
> > confident that you will do a better job than I ever would be able
> > do.
>
> ;-)
>
> > Given my very limited skills, I'm not sure that I can be of much
> > help
> > to you. But if you have a different opinion, I'm willing to try and
> > take some easy and non-urgent tasks, as long as you are willing to
> > take
> > the lead.
>
> I don't really have an opinion here. I guess, that I can do the
> currently required changes to Weblate and the Git workflow myself
> and
> on my own.
>
> However, may I suggest to place you as co-admin for Debian Edu
> Documentation on Weblate? To reduce the bus factor, it would be
> good
> to have another Debian Edu team member with admin permissions on
> the
> Weblate projects relevant for us.

Ok, but bear in mind that even for simple actions, I will have to
pass through a learning stage.

my hosted.weblate.org user name is Frans.Spiesschaert@gmail.com

> One step is moving things around a bit, so that we can offer more
> translation languages on Weblate.

For the moment we have buster-manual translations for da, de, es,
fr, it, ja, nb, nl, pl, zh and zh_Hant of which nb, pl, zh and zh_Hant
use weblate.
de and nl are up-to-date and make use of the Debian i18n
infrastructure. No need for those languages to be added to weblate, in
my opinion.
The translations for da, es, fr, it and ja lag behind. They don't use
weblate but have an active translation community within Debian.
I would suggest to try to revitalize those translations first via
the appropriate Debian i18n mailing lists before transfering those
languages to weblate. I'm willing to try to prepare a draft e-mail to
those lists, asking for volunteers to update the buster manual.
I would prefer to send it to you for review beforehand.

> Another step is to check, whether individual languages can appear
> on
> Weblate but can be set to read-only (for people preferring poedit).

I'm not so sure that this is needed as long as translations can be kept
up to date using Debian's own i18n infrastructure.

> Yet another step is working on some shell script that allows
> picking
> translations from a Git staging branch in debian-edu-doc over to
> the
> master branch.

In my opinion that would be a very good thing if this could help us to
keep early translations out of the git-infrastructure of Debian Edu
itself, until they meet the minimum requirements for release.

> And then...
>
> Then, we may see more translations filling with translated strings
> and
> we possible see more people joining the translation effort for more
> and more languages.

While Debian Edu is a Debian Pure Blend, I think that we shouldn't
bypass the i18n infrastructure of Debian in the first place. I agree
with you that if we could manage to get more Debian-Edu-Doc
translations by reaching out via weblate to translators that are in
favour of free software, but aren't affiliated to Debian, it would
definitely be a plus. Of course I'm also fine with all Debian l10n
teams that prefer weblate as their translation tool, as nb is doing
already right now.

>  Once that happens, it might need more people to be
> responsive to messages coming in from Weblate. I'd be grateful if
> you
> could help out there, once we are ready for it.

I'm willing to help out and to act as your backup if needed.

--
Kind regards,
Frans Spiesschaert