Re: Time to drop Weblate (Was: The Norwegian Bokmål translation team move from Transifex to Weblate)

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:53:20PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Petter Reinholdtsen 2016-10-14]
> > Weblate uses git internally, and I hope to be able to use git merge to
> > update the translations.  This is yet untested for this repo, so we
> > will see how it goes. :)
>
> Now we know how it went.  There has been steady oppisition to using the
> web based translation editor since before the weblate project was
> created,

I object to this summary. I'm very glad about the ongoing translations
coming in via the weblate project!

What I'm objecting to is the work caused on - mostly me - by adding .po
files which are are being worked on for a short time and/or without
giving proper distribution licences via editing $wiki/CopyRight pages
(as those are then automatically added to debian/copyright in the source
package.)

Without entries in debian/copyright we *cannot* distribute these
translations.

(adding translations also has more costs, like longer build times of the
packages, more build failures due to errors in .po files, etc)

> and I fail to see the upside for my part to being included in
> that conflict.  Luckily the Norwegian translation is almost 100%, so the
> starting point for the future is good.
>
> Anyway, some background for the change, from IRC today:
>
> <h01ger> pere: please get the zh_Hant translators to add themselves to
>          $wiki/CopyRight
> <pere> h01ger: how did you think that should happen?  I have no contact
>          with them besides the emails on the list.
>
> <h01ger> no idea then
> <h01ger> no other idea then
> <h01ger> use the list
> <h01ger> without a copyright notice, we cannot distribute their
>          work. the way to get d-e-doc's d/copyright updated, is via
>          adding it to $wiki/CopyRight
> <pere> you want me to send an email to a translator and tell him you
>        asked me to get him to update the wiki?
> <h01ger> pere: you can also update those wiki pages
> <pere> you lost me here.  why do you involve me, instead of talking
>        directly to the translator?
> <h01ger> pere: you seem to think adding translations via weblate comes
>          with no costs (=no additional work). this is not true. please
>          take some responsibility for the work caused by that work
> <pere> right.  I'll shut down the weblate project, then.  I do not want
>        to take the role of coordinating translators.
> * h01ger sighs
> <h01ger> maybe you can find somebody else to do it instead?
> <pere> maybe.  I have no interest in fighting over the issue, I barely
>        have time to run 'git pull' once in a while.
> <pere> but I am not going to spend time on it, it is quicker to just
>        conclude that the opposition is present and I do not want to
>        spend more time on it.

<h01ger> | i also dont have more time to spend on it. its
quicker for me to drop translations we cannot distribute than trying to
fix this, especially if i dont know whether these translators will ever come
back and finish those translations

> I've locked down the weblate project now (ie no-one will be able to add
> or update translations there any more)

sigh.

> to make sure no more sync-ing
> between the git repos are needed, and unless someone show up to take
> over the responsibility of synchronizing between weblate and salsa
> before Friday 2019-02-15, I'll ask the Weblate admin to remove/drop the
> debian-edu-documentation project from Weblate.

thats a very short deadline...

--
tschau,
	Holger