Re: pxeinstall fails if network card requires nonfree firmware

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:50:26AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Btw, it might probably be possible to use the same script to convert
> the LTSP initrd to include firmware for LTSP clients.  Would be useful
> to investigate. :)

Well, it would work I suppose. But it was easier for me to use existing
ltsp knowhow. In most cases only some firmware must be added. In that
case the initrd will only be a bit bigger than before. (The packages
get superfluously installed in the chroot but that should do no harm.)

The following script works for me.
----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# Add non-free firmware to the chroot used by ltsp to enable certain
# network cards (Intel, Broadcom, ...). Takes package name as param.

# usage
if [ "$1" = "" ]
    then
    echo ""
    echo "Usage information:"
    echo "Execute: apt-get update && apt-cache search ^firmware-.*"
    echo "Decide which package has to be installed for the network card."
    echo "Then call this script with the package name as parameter."
    echo ""
    exit 0
fi

# do things in the ltsp chroot for arch i386
ltsp-chroot -a i386 apt-get update
ltsp-chroot -a i386 mkdir /tmp/user 2> /dev/null
ltsp-chroot -a i386 mkdir /tmp/user/0 2> /dev/null
ltsp-chroot -d -a i386 apt-get -y -q install $1

# copy new initrd from chroot to the server tftpboot dir
ltsp-update-kernels

echo ""
echo "Done - if no error about an unlocateable package was reported."
echo "Booting a machine as thin client or diskless workstation should"
echo "now be possible. If this is not the case, the installation of"
echo "other or additional firmware is likely to be required."
echo ""

Wolfgang