Re: pxeinstall fails if network card requires nonfree firmware

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Why these changes?
>
> > -    debnames="$(apt-cache search ^firmware-.*|cut -d" " -f1)"
> > +    debnames="$(apt-cache search ^firmware-.*|grep -v b43|cut -d" " -f1)"
>
> Why do you need to drop the b43 firmware installer?

Both packages contain no firmware, docu only. Real error was:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
or been moved out of Incoming.

 firmware-b43-installer : Conflicts: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer but
4.174.64.19-4 is to be installed
 firmware-b43-lpphy-installer : Conflicts: firmware-b43-installer but
4.150.10.5-4 is to be installed

> > -    apt-get --download-only install $debnames
> > +    apt-get -d -y -qq install $debnames
>
> Why do you need -qq?  Why change --download-only to -d?  Did you add
> -y just for speed, or did the script not work without it?

-y for speed, the other ones are actually superfluous (habit).

> > +	if [ "$name" != "firmware-linux" ]; then
>
> Why do you need to ignore firmware-linux but not
> firmware-linux-nonfree?  Why do you need to ignore firmware-linux?

docu only.

It would certainly be better to test if a package contains
/lib/firmware but coding that is beyond my skills.

Wolfgang