Re: browser races

On 11-06-24 at 03:02pm, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:21:10PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >
> > ...and 7(!) comments to that post, all made within one day,
>
> These were written after I looked there and wrote my mail.

Ah, point taken.  I didn't realized it was all this new.

> > points to the alternative approach of using backported packages for
> > stable, and experimental packages for testing/unstable.
> >
> > Seems very much like light at the end of the tunnel to me.
>
> Well, not really.  I was asking for testing/unstable.  If you
> look at
>
>   http://mozilla.debian.net/dists/wheezy/
>
> there is only 3.6 and there is nothing for sid at all.  So having the
> latest Firefox backported somehow is nice, hiding it at some other place
> than backports.debian.org is questionable but there might be reasons for
> this I can not see.  But I wonder in how far this leads to the
> assumption that we will soonish see a recent firefox in the development
> tree?

Instead of exploring the subdirectories of that site, try at the front
page http://mozilla.debian.net/ to select "unstable", "Iceweasel" and
"4.0" and you will see that they suggest that you use experimental.

Yes, they use their own backporting repository rather than
backports.debian.org.  I do not know specifically why the mozilla
service is constructed the way it is, but generally it is my experience
that collaborative backporting efforts have some benefits, while total
control over a backporting effort has other benefits.

I consider *any* backporting as unofficial and as "contamination" of a
Debian system - even if repository is hosted at a debian.org domain.

 - Jonas