Re: Program Launcher of Sidux-Edu

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, RalfGesellensetter wrote:

Usually, our images are not updated within 1-2 years. Hence,
using "too stable" desktops would bring you to a situation where your
system is 3-4 years old.

Well, I don't think that 3-4 years really fit reality especially
because my impression is that SkoleLinux tries to pace up with
stable Debian release.  As a person who is not really working in
a school I have a precondition which I want to verify with this
honest (not provoking) question:  In how far is the latest and
greatest software needed to teach students using computers?
I just thought that a stable system coudl easily feature 2-3 years
old software because teachers had enough time to really find out
all tricks and tweaks to be able teaching very effectively.  So
I would regard frequently changing software rather a not so
wanted feature of a system in a school than one which just runs
stable over a long time period.  Am I so wrong with this idea
how teaching works?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--