Re: Program Launcher of Sidux-Edu

Am Mittwoch 02 Juli 2008 schrieb Andreas Tille:
>  I'm personally reluctant about everything that wants to be
> even cooler than Debian and at the same time refusing to cooperate
> with Debian.

Dear Andreas, dear List,

in general and in theoriy, I absolutely agree, that Debian is the way to
go. Especially in server settings, a stable release with long term
support as known from Debian is of great value and importance.

On the other hand, if you browse the entries of schools using
Skolelinux, you will find an increasing amount of settings with foreign
distros on their workstations. This is also stressed by emerging howtos
like http://developer.skolelinux.no/~ozmund/slxubuntu.html or
http://wiki.skolelinux.de/FremdDistro.

Now, why is this? In my school, the desktop installation has proven
quite stable regarding versions:
- the terminal room runs a Skolelinux 2.0 (Sarge) + Backports (KDE 3.5)
- another room (to be updated these weeks) features workstations with
  a slightly tuned pre-version of Skolelinux 2.0 (KDE 3.3. OOo 1.4).

Besides stability and support, workstations must compete with commercial
desktops, hence I would be very happy if Debian or at least the CDD
project provided a more frequent desktop release that comes without
long time support, but with fresher software.

Maybe we can stick to stable releases of Debian, if our server
infrastructure including LTSP and diskless clients supported a rollout
of (thin/lowfat/fat) clients based on Debian testing.

On the other hand, our policy has always been to provide integration for
foreign systems (samba + nfs) - so why worry if people ask for support
of *buntu or Sidux instead of Redmond's OSs?

What do you think?

Regards
Ralf