Re: Program Launcher of Sidux-Edu

Am Samstag, 5. Juli 2008 22:18 schrieb Andreas Tille:

Good morning

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> > Usually, our images are not updated within 1-2 years. Hence,
> > using "too stable" desktops would bring you to a situation where your
> > system is 3-4 years old.
>
> Well, I don't think that 3-4 years really fit reality especially
> because my impression is that SkoleLinux tries to pace up with
> stable Debian release.  As a person who is not really working in
> a school I have a precondition which I want to verify with this
> honest (not provoking) question:  In how far is the latest and
> greatest software needed to teach students using computers?
> I just thought that a stable system coudl easily feature 2-3 years
> old software because teachers had enough time to really find out
> all tricks and tweaks to be able teaching very effectively.  So
> I would regard frequently changing software rather a not so
> wanted feature of a system in a school than one which just runs
> stable over a long time period.  Am I so wrong with this idea
> how teaching works?

I just have to spend some words on these questions because I think Andreas is
right with his assuption.

BTW: I study education, did a schooling as primary school teachers a few years
ago, am an administrator of a (Debian based) primary school and know a lot of
teachers.

My opinion is that it's really better to have a stable long standing system
with stable software. And if you compare with systems with other operating
system in schools the software there is mostly old as well.

> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

Thx for your work
Mario