Re: debian-edu + edubuntu?

RalfGesellensetter wrote:
Hi Nigel,

Am Mittwoch 21 November 2007 schrieb nigel barker:
I used edubuntu for a while before etch. The application software was
much better.

May I replace "better" by "more recent"? Or could you otherwise explain, what was better?

Since etch its the same, but edubuntu seems to have sound working more often on the thin clients. Plus usb drives pop up
on the desktop rather than having to be sought - good for primary
kids (that might be a kde - gnome thing is it?)

This is better hardware support out of the box? Plus Gnome (matter of taste) having (at least in the past) better udev/hal support for USB media?

The nice thing about free and open interfaces is that you can chose whatever you like most in each position. One of Skolelinux's strenghths is that it provides an all-in-one system. That's just perfect for schools where there is no experienced GNU/Linux administrator.

But we also make use of (even closed) interfaces when we try to integrate Windows clients (using Samba). As long as Ubuntu or whatever distribution follows the interfaces provided by our tjener, why should we object against integrating whatever machine?

Open interfaces bear the chance to optimize each profile (Main Server, Workstation, Terminalserver) - one could even consider to split into seperate distributions. In the end it has to be re-evaluated if there is more costs of fraction or rather profits from synergy. I like the idea of Skolelinux to have all in one, many maintainance (of code but also of the system) can be minimized this way. But I also understand the efforts some people make to optimize a distribution for a single task (like myth-TV). For those who want the newest apps on their desktop (schools tend to prefer stability), we could possibly provide some early pre-releases of Debian-Edu Lenny.
Just a few thoughts on this
Regards
Ralf (using backports for the same effect)

P.S.: As for the edUbuntu question: I can understand any criticism - and, yes, there is a lot of work done twice. But in the end, *buntu sells (not only on DELLs) - and we should not "salt" our criticism with envy. Very ambivalent topic - no consent in sight. In a talk held by Oliver Grawert on Edubuntu during LinuxTag 2006, Oliver (major developer of Edubuntu) started refering to Skolelinux as the "S-Class" of school servers). So, they are still "after us". As we have an agreement of cooperation, we should be able to settle down apt interfaces. And some of "our" applications (e.g. Stopmotion) should consider to reference "Skolelinux" directly within their info dialogue.

I dont' think it's criticism, or envy. My question was mearly a attempth to get more user feedback. what is wanted ? why is it wanted ? and how can we support that need.

So if someone found a itch that edubuntu scratched for them . I'd like to know what the itch was. Ofcourse not all things can be solved in Debian Edu. so it's a good thing that there are multiple choises for a school.

I guess we should put more energy into http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/UserSurvey so we are not compleatly running around with blindfold on.

Ronny