Re: rc4 test (was: summary from the irc meeting 2007-07-09)

On Tuesday 10. July 2007 17:11, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> As Holger said, it is useful to check console 4 (Alt-Ctrl-F4) to see
> what is going on.

I'll do that.

I was so eager to get the standalone installed on a machine that seemed to be
broke. After logging in the machine freezes after 30-60 seconds. It got a old
Matrox graphics chip using a mga driver.

> It occur to me that we should probably document the disk space used by
> the standalone installation, to help those doing manual partitioning.
> I do not know if you ran out of disk space, but it would be nice to
> know how to avoid it.

I was able to do a note on diskspace used when doing an automatic disk
partitioning on the 20GB disk on my test machine. ~5 GB went to '/' and 0.5
went to swap, the rest to '/home'.

> > Machine specs. Fuitsu Siemens 1100 MHz Celereon machines with 256 MB
> > RAM and CD-ROM.
>
> Would be plenty.  How large was the disk?

20 MB disk.

When doing a qemu test with 6 GB virtual disk space the installation breaks.
Increasing virtual diskspace to 10 GB it works. The days when installing
Skolelinux on 2GB HD workstations are over.

With Mandriva you can install minimum system on 2GB USB memory stick with KDE,
OpenOffice.org and a couple of other applications as Firefox, Amarok,
KMplayer etc. It worked on my Thinkpad X60s Laptop:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/company/press/pr/mandriva_flash_3d_in_your_pocket

Mandriva certainly targeting the Classmate PC and other devices comming up:
http://www.intel.com/intel/worldahead/classmatepc/

That said, Mandriva has really stripped down number of applications.
Skolelinux has added more applications and languages in after considering the
popularity contest and feedback from teachers and LinEx. More languages and
applications costs us more harddrive space.

Best regards

Knut Yrvin
--
Skolelinux project manager Norway