Re: the .org proposal or "join forces"

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:43:39 +0100
Finn-Arne Johansen <faj@bzz.no> wrote:

> >  o http://bugs.skolelinux.org/ - Can we use bugs.d.o? Yes, for a lot
> >    of bugs we can and we should, but I don't think pointing teachers
> >    to bugs.d.o's interfaces is a good idea. So if we want bugreports
> >    from our primary users, I believe we should continue use the
> >    bugzilla we have at bugs.skolelinux.no now. It has been put a lot
> >    of effort in cleaning it up too.
>
> Keep in mind that most of our installations cant send email out from
> their schools without good knowledge on how to set up mail-servers.
> We need a web interface.

Good points, Morten and Finn-Arne.

I propose the following:

2) For all non-Debian packages mandate the inclusion of this file:

- --- start of /usr/share/bug/<PACKAGE>/bts ---
Send-To: debian-edu-bugs@lists.debian.org
- --- end of /usr/share/bug/<PACKAGE>/bts ---

3) Promote the use of bug reporting tools that acknowledges the above
bts hint (I know that my favorite commandline tool "reportbug" does, and
suspect most if not all other tools, graphical or not, to do so as well)

4) Setup a web-based formular on the skolelinux.org website that simply
sends off an email to debian-edu-bugs@lists.debian.org

The reason I dislike a separate bug reporting tool is that our goal
must be to avoid non-Debian packages completely, so we better think in
ways to improve the userfriendlyness of the Debian BTS than avoid it.

The above proposal is only a minimal working starting point. The
interface can be improved (anyone wanna play with ajax?) and the
improvements can be adopted by Debian in general!

I believe that even binary-only packages taken from outside sources
rather than packaged by Debian-Edu (like openoffice-org backports) can
have the above bts hint injected by a simple shell script. That
requires the packages to be re-signed but we really should sign our
packages ourselves anyway rather than relying on non-Debian
non-Debian-edu package signatures.

 - Jonas

- --