Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 01:14, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> On 5/10/05, Markus Gamenius <markus@gamenius.net> wrote:
> > I do belive that Sarge is going to "save" us for now, but if we
> > have to wait for the next stable another 2-3 years we do have a
> > problem.
>
> I must disagree with that a bit. Quite a lot of Debian users
> choose it for mission critical environments because it is rock
> stable and it has a very long support cycle. If Debian starts
> having a release every two years or even more frequently, that
> long term stability will become quite questionable.
> In many areas you really need a server or a workstation that will
> not change for 5+ years and will have a fullblown security
> support for the same 5+ years. Debian is excellent at that.

So you will tell us that a school authoritive who has the coice to
have an old fashioned Debian-Edu developed and offered by hobbyists
or to have a brand new MS-Windows offered by professional marketing
people supported by a million dollar marketing branch will choose
Debian-Edu?

Pardon me, but it must be another planet you are living on.

- You know that schools are offered MS OS and Software for free more
  and more?
- You know that MS offers free training for authoritives and admins
  more and more?
- You know that MS gives a financial support for hardware more and
  more?
- You know that MS offers their OS on a cheap base just in those
  countries where Free Software starts to have a good chance in the
  market?

So the cost arguments are dissapearing, they may be against free
software in only a year or two if MS goes on as they start do do in
the moment.

<sarcasm>
But Debian is stable.
And it will be released when it will be released.
Praise the lord that Debian came up when punch cards are no longer
in use anymore. That was stable, much more than CDs are.
</sarcasm>

Bye,
Thomas

--