Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

Andreas Tille wrote:

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Markus Gamenius wrote:

Then we will be less vulnerable in the future, and we will give our users more freedom.

You might think about whether your users want freedom of choice of
a distribution or just a relieable system.  Freedom is a very great
word but using freedom sanely requires a lot of experience and knowledge.
My impression of the target user group was that they do not really
want to have the choice between different technical base systems -
at least I fail to see a selling point here.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

This is certainly true.  Users don't bother much about operating
systems.  Decision makers may have an opinion on Windows vs
any other operating system, but hardly on Debian vs Ubuntu.

However, the relevant point of this discussion is that we are
now running on software that is quite simply getting old.  This
may in some cases be an issue when it comes to flexibility in
hardware selection, but I think we can still find solutions for
quite a while.  So far I have not heard of any case actually
being lost because of this.

What is more important for sales is actually the old KDE desktop
in Woody.  Some people think it looks old-fashioned, and we need
to take that seriously.  In real life there is no use arguing
against opinions like that - you just need to address it by
coming up with something a little bit more "modern" looking.

Ubuntu may sound like the right answer, but what is the question?
In my opinion, it is "How do we get control over our release
process?" and not "What distro should we chose?".

Best regards,

Halvor