Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

Andreas Schuldei wrote:
On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 03:54:49PM +0200, Markus Gamenius wrote:

The two projects have fairly aligned goals, trying to provide the best
possible software package for schools.  We do have different time
schedules, and this will lead to friction when upcoming deadlines make
it hard to spend enough time to find the best solution.  I believe we
can make this cooperation work, if we base it on our will to pull in
the same direction when possible, and discuss and explain the
different goals when we end up pulling in slightly different
directions.

Is it smart to be a "Debian-only" solution for Skolelinux in the future. What if we were less distribution-fixed?

On a technical level debian-edu is allready very debian-centric.

The reason I ask about being to distro-specific is the discussion going on about Ubuntu beeing a friend or foo of the Debian-project.

Some people think that Ubuntu will enrich Debian because they are using Debian as base for their distro (giving things back to Debian). Other seam to be woried about Ubuntu going more and more solo, loaded with skilled Debian-developers and money, leaving a Debian-wreck inn the wake.

Some have also mentioned the risk of Ubuntu going down if it does not make enough money for Mr. Shuttleworth. He has not made all his money by beeing stupid, so if Ubuntu are going to lack commercial-sucess I gues he is going to find some new friends.

So we do have severeal different scenarios. Anyway it's not easy to predict who will be our best freind in the future.

I think the safest aproach for our project is to stay within the "Debian-sphere", without beeing to close conected to Debian, Ubuntu, Xandros +++. Beeing totaly distro-independent is not the best idea, because we have made so much work on beeing part of Debian, we will make it easier on our selves if we stay close to them. But I belive we seriously shold look at beeing more Debian-generic (read; Debian, Ubuntu +++) in the future. Then we will be less vulnerable in the future, and we will give our users more freedom.

Above that, we are mostly independent of the underlying debian
distribution. Sarge, Woody or Ubuntu 5.04 does not really matter.

Markus