Re: eZ in Debian-Edu and on skolelinux.org?

Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:

As sandbox where to collect logs, preliminary information and so on, a Wiki is indeed great. But for presenting a project?

Note that we may of course lock important pages, such as the frontpage, news and other really important pages, so only administrators can edit them.

Our wiki was open. There were several spams a week - dirty ads and all that stuff - which was really annoying.

My experience is that in an active wiki, such abuse is discovered and remedied promptly. If we go for a wiki solution we will certainly experience abuse, but there's lots of eyes -- in different timezones, too -- in this project, so I don't think we should abuse alone should scare us away from a wiki solution.

Everybody played around here and there, even if the front page was well designed and gave a godd structure, using the search function resulted often in outdated or wrong information.

Making it easy to navigate in a wiki with lots of information is difficult, but not impossible.

On the other hand, I am a fan of Wikipedia which works out well - as long tere are people enough to clean spam attacks. Maybe I am just too sceptical.

I think MediaWiki[1] is an excellent Wiki-implementation, running it myself on www.linuxguiden.no. We would never get 500 new articles in ~three months if this had been an authorial site. We have experienced abuse, as any wiki out there, but now as we've got an IRC-bot announcing every change and a mailing list with diffs, controlling and possibly rejecting changes is a breeze. Most of the abuse has been curious users new to the wiki-concept just testing wether or not they can edit, for real.

Another thing I really like with MediaWiki, is the "wix"-utility. [2]
It gives you a "CVS-interface" to MediaWiki, enabling you to work offline and with your editor of choice -- check out, edit, update, commit.

~

[1] http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net, http://meta.wikipedia.org
[2] http://tinyurl.com/65fbk (cpan.org had troubles, so link to wix Google cache)