Re: eZ in Debian-Edu and on skolelinux.org?

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 12:50, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Knut Yrvin wrote:
>
> > The down-side is what to do with the content in the CMS in a couple of
> > years? Then the the CMS vendor(s) has changed their system in a way
> > that the schools have to move content from an earlier version to the
> > new one.
>
> We have of course database changes once in a while, and for upgrade we
> usually have both an SQL (DDL) upgrade script, but also PHP based
> scripts to upgrade the data in the database. Unless this database schema
> is changed (should never happen), you can do upgrades between versions
> pretty easily.

 Promising.  Then I will just ask for the Moon, right away:

* The package should offer database migration at install time.

* First step of database migration should be an automatic backup.

* The package should offer roll-back to the backup, and this
 roll-back should be invokable from the CMS itself (no shell
 commands required).

* Basically, any package should be able to downgrade itself
 to the version it upgraded from (full roll-back).

 This will leave the local admin with an easy way to step
back if the upgrade breaks, for some reason.  The CMS
contains lots of data produced by the users, so ensuring
this is important.  If they don't have strong faith in
it, they will avoid using it.

 However, the admins must be encouraged to get help
when upgrades fail.

--
 Herman Robak