Re: eZ in Debian-Edu and on skolelinux.org?

Hello Conrad!

Am Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2005 01:12 hub Conrad Newton in die Tasten:

" >From Stefan Padberg on Tuesday, 2005-01-18 at 09:29:24 +0100:

"

" > But:

" > It is not possible to work offline. But I don't know why this should be

" > necessary. You can prepare your text to publish offline with an editor

" > or with open office, then you go online and copy it into the page you

" > have choosen. So what?

"

" Maybe I am responsible for 50+ pages, and I want to modify all 50+

" of them simultaneously with a script (this example is not merely

" hypothetical). Will I then have to copy the 50+ pages manually

" onto the website, or can they all be put into place simultaneouly

" with e.g. rsync? What if I change my mind the next day and I

" decide to change all 50+ pages again?

With Typo3 you work a little bit different. Typo3 is a database-driven CMS, and you need PHP and MySQL (and some other things) to be installed on the server. You install Typo3 on your server and thus are provided with an rather comfortable administration backend. You log in and then you work directly on the server. The point is here: you can work from where ever you find a browser. And: many people can work on the project altogether at the same time. (Of course, it is advisible to use DSL or ISDN with flatrate if you work with Typo3. Otherwise it is not fun. )

If you really would have changed the content of 50 pages altogether - and I mean really only the content - you would have to click indeed in the navigation tree of your site (in the backend all the pages of your site are presented in a kind of tree structure where you can choose the page you'd like to work on) all the pages to be changed and copy your changed texts into the input form for every page.

But usually this is not the case because a situation where you change all pages altogether is a situation where you have changed something on the layout or the structure of the site. In this case you will make use of templates and a good database structure which will help you to administrate the site.

There is f.e. a template for the layout of all pages. It could be a HTML-Page where you have inserted just place holders instead of real content or information. The information is inserted later via PHP-MySQL when a page is called by a user. If you now f.e. want to add a flag or other language sign, you would do that once in this layout template, and that's it for the whole site!

Address data would be stored in a special database table and would be included from there. So if an address changes you change it in the database once, and that's it for the whole site!

I hope this clarifies things a little bit.

Regards

Stefan Padberg, Wuppertal