Re: Comments on the "Skolelinux - User Requirements·Specification"

|| On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:03:11 +0200
|| Thomas Lange <lange@informatik.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

as> otavio, i agree fully with you: pre-seeding (and powerfull
as> postinstall scripts allowing for versatile configuration of the
as> package) are the wave of the future.

tl> No. Try to create all questions you like to ask for configuring apache
tl> for example. You will never have enough questions (and answers) to be
tl> as flexible as somebody needs to be. Maybe for very well defined
tl> environment is sufficient to ask some questions for the configuration
tl> of a package. But there are more difficult environment which can't
tl> never be configured by answering questions as debconf does. So
tl> sometimes you want to copy a template of a precreated config file to
tl> its target destination. This is was fcopy from fai can do very well.

In apache case, you can put a new file on /etc/apache/conf.d/ and so
do not brake the policy.

>> Sure. I think FAI was the prototip and now, preseeding will be the
>> product :-D

tl> FAI is not a prototyp, it's a product which is well working for very
tl> different environments. Have a look at the long list of FAI users.
tl> http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/q-answers

I know it works really well. What I was trying to say is that FAI was
the tool which made the concept of change configurations for specific
need and now preseeding is the more "modern" way to do it. OF course,
it doesn't solves all problems but helps a lot.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116