Re: autologin for thin clients

> I've found that kde session manager let me configure some accounts which
> can log without password, so I use it.
>
> It works when I'm on the main server, but not when I'me on the thin client ;
> I've also noticed that on the thin client, the localisation (french) is not
> complete : in the KDE control center, the tree on the left side is left in
> english while the right side (configuration) is in french... Same things
> for the menu (in english)...
>   Have you an idea why the behavior is different between server and thin
> clients connexions ?

i believe KDM is security-wise enough that remote passwordless logins
are disabled by default.

using kdm 2.2.2 the only way i could figure out involves messing with
files in /etc/pam.d/ and actually setting the user's passwords to empty
values.  i couldn't find any other way to get this functionality with
KDM or XDM.  the big down-side to this approach was that these anonymous
users could change the password.

that's a big part of the reason i wrote sdm, which allowed the use of
ssh keys instead of passwords. :)

and regarding the security of sdm on lessdisks:

i'm pretty certain the ssh doesn't use the host's private keys to
initiate an ssh connections, otherwise anyone on that host would be able
to decrypt other user's ssh sessions.  if that's not the case, ssh has a
*huge* security bug. i also have used ssh before without any host keys,
which would also be a security bug.

if you still contend this, prove me wrong, jonas :P

live well,
  vagrant