Re: Sound on thin clients ?

Hi Gavin,

although I was not the original creator of this thread, you very much hit the
point, so thanks for your obviously quite thorough research :)

Am Freitag 10 September 2004 15:35 schrieb Gavin McCullagh:
> I think you can tune the sample rate but you're talking about RAW sound so
> a lot.

This would refer to Herman's posting. I am very aware of Audio formats and
their bandwith, thus reducing sample rate, bit width, channel amount are the
most forward reductions of bandwith (they can be renedered more or less on
the fly as there is no psychoacoustics in it)

> > I assume sound is rendered on the ltsp server, worst case in cd quality
> > ( > 1 MBit/s)?
>
> If you can tune the sample rate that should help.  I would have thought
> that at least.  It should be sound card independent.

To still have FM Radio quality, sample rate should be >30kHz (32 kHz is quite
common), if you can get along with mono, 12 bits you'll end up with 12 x 32 =
384 kbps.

Regards
Ralf