Re: Updates

Quoting shirish शिरीष (2014-09-04 01:42:16)
> On 9/4/14, Vipin Nair <swvist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it because we trying to fill in empty slots? I do not see why
>> having fewer talks is an issue, if we have not enough people who can
>> talk on the subject.
>
> Haven't you looked at the schedule. There are 16 slots if it's going
> to be a single track event only. From what we have explored and
> thought about there would be 16 slots for Debian and 8-10 odd talks
> that have come from the host institution.
>
> There were and are multiple reasons why we said yes to having these
> talks and try to those intentions.

Sorry, I missed your answer to the question.  Is it to fill empty slots?

> while we would be having a Debian track, we do not want to deprive
> enthusiasts from exploring those topics.

How is it "depriving"?

A football camp would not "deprive" anyone from playing tennis.

Having tennis as 2/3 of a programme for a football camp is... odd.

Re-label the event to be a sports camp, and it would not be odd.

> It is Debian centric, what we don't want is to force students one way
> or the other. There is a fine line between advise and force.

Banning tennis ketchers at the venue - to avoid playing other games than
football even outside of the official schedule - would be bad.

Turning down requests at the planning stage for reserving a slot in the
programmme for a tennis match - at a football camp - is not bad.  Not
even if that means that slot won't be filled at all.

If then charging an entrance fee for the event, some might feel that
they got too little for their money if not all slots were filled with
high-profile activities.  But that's not an issue for an open-for-all
no-fee Debian conference - or did I miss something?

 - Jonas