Re: Updates

at bottom :-

On 9/3/14, pavithran <pavithran.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 September 2014 00:12, Vipin Nair <swvist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I expect the talks to
>> be more Debian centric and this does not really fit the bill. Its my
>> opinion
>> and
>
> Please look at the archives . There was a discussion on this.
> Please look at https://lists.debian.org/debian-dug-in/2014/08/msg00090.html
>
> Well I am not sure what consensus came out of the discussions , maybe
> we need a separate thread to discuss this.
>
> Regards,
> Pavithran
>
> --
> pavithran sakamuri
> http://look-pavi.blogspot.com>

Dear Vipin, Pavi and all,
As Pavi pointed out there was indeed discussion on this. The way I see
it, we don't have enough people who have in-depth knowledge or have
hacked on debian internals. And those who have (like Vasudev Kamath
who has worked a bit on boxer/freedombox) doesn't want to volunteer as
he's busy in his professional life or has other priorities. Which
leaves me, Kartik and Praveen. While I can give the generic background
and a listing of the various sub-projects which come under Debian
development, I do not have the experience nor the understanding of
many of the pieces internally.

I use it more often than not as a platform to do things I want. So, in
this background we have no option but to ask people to have sort of
non-debian talks and demos as well. In fact, that's the reason we are
going to have Jaldhar Vyas, so he can make us more intimately familiar
with the Debian BTS than we are today and hopefully a person or two
takes that to engage with him and do a GSOC or two and become part of
the Debian community.

@Vipin, if you have any expertise or want to use this opportunity to
explore any aspect of Debian, be it Debian-Installer (D-I), Debian
infrastructure, Debian security or any of the million odd things that
make up Debian and fascinates you, you are welcome to propose that and
we can take that. Nobody is stopping you from doing that.

It's only because we have not much Debian expertise who are taking
part and going to share topics on Debian packaging and perhaps
keysigning (if we do that) that we decided to open it for non-Debian
talks as well. This does mean reduced Debian sponsorship to us but as
it's a classic chicken and egg situation, we can't do anything about
it. There's also the part that Praveen wants to explore free software
on decentralized personal messaging, social networking  as well which
Debian thinks (for some reason) that's it's outside Debian which I
simply fail to understand. We have not asked why simply because Debian
is free to make its own mind as to what it feels is core to Debian
development and what is not as well as what should be sponsored or not
?  They have both the auditors and the larger community to be
answerable to as well so that position is also understandable.

Whatever difference would be in sponsorship, we would have to raise
from other sponsors as well.

I hope I'm able to articulate our position and Debian's position
vis-a-vis. If you have any Debian topic that you would like to
explore, do a BoF or something, we would be more than enthused to do
that.

Look forward to hearing from you and the community at large.