Updates

Hi all,

To update on the progress:

  1. As you all know, we had an in formal CFP in the Institute. Attaching herewith the responses we received. Do share your thoughts on it.
  2. We are looking to have t shirts and hoodies for the event. And, I believe the community also is planning to. If anyone knows of any merchant, we could give a bulk order (to save cost and get it done quickly).
  3. If the website is good to publish, we can start the CFP for the public too.
  4. Some delay in getting the budget done, should be ready by this weekend.

Let me know your thoughts.

--
Aishwarya Subramanian

Don’t be discouraged by your incapacity to dispel darkness from the world. Light your little candle and step forward! — Amma

Timestamp,Name,e-mail id,Organization/Employer,Website/Blog,About You ,Technical Experience,Title of your talk ,Outline of the talk ,Targetted Audience ,Tags ,Do you require accomodation ?,Your comments
8/7/2014 10:08:49,Bithin Alangot,bithin2007@gmail.com,Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham,bithin.wordpress.com,"I am a Computer Science PhD student at Amrita University. My area of interest includes in-memory storage, distributed systems and virtualization. ","As a part of my research I have been working on RAMCloud. I was also working with Dr. Darrell Long at University of California, Santa Cruz at its Storage System Research Center. ",RAMCloud - Future of Storage,"Talk Outline,

1) Introduction
2) Advantage of In-memory storage systems
3) Different types of In-memory storage systems
4) RAMCloud Design and Implementation
5) RAMCloud Usage
6) Conclusion",General,Linux Basics,No,
8/7/2014 18:50:54,Jackson Isaac,jacksonisaac2008@gmail.com,Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham,jacksonisaac.wordpress.com,"I am pursuing 3rd year of B.Tech Computer Science Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Kollam. I am part of Amrita FOSS club. I have worked on multiple bugs in GNOME-Music and Mozilla Firefox. I have used python technologies like Clone-Digger and line_profiler in GNOME-Music. I am sure that my knowledge about these technologies and tools will definitely help the audience to build better applications and write better code. I have also presented a talk on 'Contributing to GNOME-Music' at FOSSMeet '14 conducted by NIT Calicut.","Open Source Contribution (Gnome, Mozilla, Debian packaging). Python, C, C++, Shell scripting, Assembly, Lisp, Java, HTML, CSS, JS, Ruby.",Contributing to GNOME-Music,"To create awareness about GNOME 3.10 and its new music player GNOME-Music. To help the audience understand about the music player and how can one join the community and contribute to the project.

1) The presentation will begin with a brief introduction of GNOME 3.10 followed by GNOME-Music.

2) The source code of the player would be briefly described on it's git site.

3) The students and professionals can understand and improve their coding skills by contributing to open source projects and GNOME-Music is a perfect platform to begin with.

4) The talk will also include how to create and submit the patch.",Beginners ,Bug-fixing ,No,
8/7/2014 18:50:58,Jackson Isaac,jacksonisaac2008@gmail.com,Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham,jacksonisaac.wordpress.com,"I am pursuing 3rd year of B.Tech Computer Science Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Kollam. I am part of Amrita FOSS club. I have worked on multiple bugs in GNOME-Music and Mozilla Firefox. I have used python technologies like Clone-Digger and line_profiler in GNOME-Music. I am sure that my knowledge about these technologies and tools will definitely help the audience to build better applications and write better code. I have also presented a talk on 'Contributing to GNOME-Music' at FOSSMeet '14 conducted by NIT Calicut.","Open Source Contribution (Gnome, Mozilla, Debian packaging). Python, C, C++, Shell scripting, Assembly, Lisp, Java, HTML, CSS, JS, Ruby.",Python3 code profiling using line_profiler,"The audience will learn about line_profiler, it's use in Software Development and how it helps in making the software efficient by calculating the memory used by the modules and each instructions under them.

The talk will show how we can use it with Python3 by testing it on GNOME-Music code-base.

1) The talk will begin with a brief introduction about Python and it's tools for software testing.

2) We will be discussing about installation process of line_profiler for python3.

3) A sample test would be presented on GNOME-Music codebase which is developed using python3 followed by the steps to run the profiler.

4) The talk will conclude with a small discussion about benefits of line_profiler during software development and testing.
",Intermediates,Bug-fixing ,No,Bug fixing and Software testing.
8/7/2014 19:21:59,Jackson Isaac,jacksonisaac2008@gmail.com,Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham,jacksonisaac.wordpress.com,"I am pursuing 3rd year of B.Tech Computer Science Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Kollam. I am part of Amrita FOSS club. I have worked on multiple bugs in GNOME-Music and Mozilla Firefox. I have used python technologies like Clone-Digger and line_profiler in GNOME-Music. I am sure that my knowledge about these technologies and tools will definitely help the audience to build better applications and write better code. I have also presented a talk on 'Contributing to GNOME-Music' at FOSSMeet '14 conducted by NIT Calicut.","Open Source Contribution, HTML, CSS, JS, Python, Ruby, C, C++, LISP, Assembly.",Linux Partition Resizing,This talk will make the audience aware about the process of partition resizing on Linux when some disk runs low on space. ,Beginners ,Linux Basics,No,
8/10/2014 0:11:47,Tony Thomas,01tonythomas@gmail.com,Student Amrita School of Enginnering,tttwrites.wordpress.com,"Third Year Computer Science and Engineering student from Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri. Open Source enthusiast, and active member of the FOSS club of Amrita. Currently completing Google Summer of Code project in Wikimedia on 'Handling email Bounces effectively'. Had contributed almost 80 + patches to the MediaWiki codebase and wrote + maintain two extensions. Had talked in a few web development workshops conducted by Amrita college in the past on web technologies and languages.","GSoC link: http://bit.ly/addingVERP
MediaWiki patchsets - http://bit.ly/gerritPatches
Github : https://github.com/tonythomas01/
Co-authored an app for Firefox OS Marketplace - Daily Wallet (https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/dailywallet/ )
",Why we need to handle our email bounces,"The talk will deal with the concept of altering the Return-Path header, generating a VERP address using PHP Hmac functions, how to route bounce email to a PHP script, how to decode the failing recipient from the received bounce, security issues of dealing with a fake bounce, how to differentiate a permanent and temporary failure, fetch emails from an IMAP mailbox ( if time permits ).
I aim to show the whole process live in my machine so that the audience can understand how things happen.",Intermediates,Data security ,No,Best wishes for the event :)
8/12/2014 9:54:31,Aishwarya Subramanian,aishwarya923@gmail.com,AMMACHI Labs,boundlessjourney.wordpress.com,"A designer by chance and a developer by choice, I work as a web developer for Ammachi Labs, Amrita University.
I love building websites, and have experience in both Rails and Django.
Besides coding, I love blogging, trekking and cycling. ","Ruby
Python
Rails
Django",Pylint - Improving the quality of your Python code,"Pylint is a tool that checks for errors in your Python code.

This session will introduce the tool to the audience, and provide hands on experience on how to use the tool to analyze their code, compare with previous code and subsequently improvise them.",Beginners ,Bug-fixing ,No,
8/17/2014 3:30:15,R.Harish Navnit,harishnavnit@gmail.com,foss@amrita,https://harishnavnit.wordpress.com,"FOSS enthusiast, pursuing bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.","Active contributor to KDE.
Contributed to projects like CrisisCommunicator and helped in a Debian package for diaspora.",Linux Security Basics,Will deal with some basic security tricks and flaws that any linux user should be aware of. ,Beginners ,Linux Basics,No,
8/17/2014 3:34:55,R.Harish Navnit,harishnavnit@gmail.com,foss@amrita,https://harishnavnit.wordpress.com,"FOSS enthusiast, pursuing bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham. ",Active contributor to KDE. Has contributed to projects like CrisisCommunicator and helped with a Debian package for Diaspora.,Getting started with Open Source,"There are a lot of enthusiastic, potential contributors to any project. They're just not aware of how to get started with an Open Source projects. This talk will aim at doing away with all their queries.",Beginners ,Linux Basics,No,
8/17/2014 21:34:21,Darshana Padmadas,darshanapadmadas@gmail.com,FOSS@Amrita,,"I am currently pursuing my third year in Bachelors of computer science engineering at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Kollam. I am an active member of the FOSS club at my college.","> HTML, CSS, Javascript(Intermediate knowledge)
8/18/2014 18:05:36,Pooja Prakash,poojaprakash747@gmail.com,Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham,,I am a 3rd year Computer Science student from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham. I am an open source enthusiast. I am also part of Foss Club in my university.  ,">Programing languages: c, c++,python.
8/19/2014 21:56:47,Aishwarya Subramanian,aishwarya923@gmail.com,AMMACHI Labs,boundlessjourney.wordpress.com,"A designer by chance and a developer by choice, I work as a web developer for Ammachi Labs, Amrita University.
I love building websites, and have experience in both Rails and Django.
Besides coding, I love blogging, trekking and cycling.","Ruby
Python
Rails
Django",Getting started with Ruby,This workshop is aimed at giving the attendees a head start with Ruby. ,Beginners ,Others,No,
8/19/2014 23:49:38,Anu V,anuv.1994@gmail.com,Student,captanu.wordpress.com,"I am pursuing my 3rd year bachelors in Computer science at Amrita University, Amritapuri. I am a FOSS enthusiast. Love working on open source projects. Had submitted proposals for GSoC and RGSoC.","I have been working on Firefox, Mozilla. Had made some basic applications in Rails framework. Currently working on linux kernel, understanding the source code, trying out system calls and creating modules. Looking forward to contribute to linux kernel starting with bug-fixing.",Contributing to Linux kernel,"How to download the source code.
Brief description of the directory structure.
Tell about Eudyptula challenge.
Adding system call.
How to start with bug-fixing: track the current bug list, selecting the bug, interacting with the mentors in IRC and mailing list, submitting a patch and merging.
",Beginners ,Linux Kernel,No,
8/23/2014 15:44:21,Archana K C,kcarchana77@gmail.com,Ruby on Rails,mastro77.blogspot.in,"Myself, Archana K C from Amrita School of Engineering doing my third year in Computer Science and Engineering. An open source enthusiast by nature from Thrissur, Kerala.","I am an open-source enthusiast and have contributed to open-source since my first week of undergraduate studies. I have contributed to organisations such as Mozilla’s Firefox and Thunderbird communities and later got introduced to Web Framework by working on Ruby on Rails application. As a part of the NASA Space App Challenge Competition, I contributed to a Ruby application, Earthy, which uses Ruby on Rails framework. I was the only girl who attended the Space App Challenge in our state. I have also got experience in making applications[4] for other platforms such as Firefox OS.",Hands-on Ruby,Ruby is a wonderful web framework to chat with your idea of web applications. The hands on session that will be conducted will lead the participants to start with web as well as work with their application development skills.,Beginners ,Others,No,
8/23/2014 16:03:11,Amrutha S,amruthasangeeth@gmail.com,FOSS at Amrita,amruthasangeeth.blogspot.com,"I am a 3rd year CSE student. Beginner to MariaDB organization. Know C, C++ and basics on HTML.","Fixes a bug in Mediawiki.
Knowledge in C,C++,HTML,Mysql
",Introduction to MariaDB,"* Introduction to MariaDB
* Why MAriaDB is better than Mysql",Beginners ,Others,No,
8/27/2014 16:18:47,Abhishek Singh,abhishekkumarsingh.cse@gmail.com,Amrita University,,"I am a recent graduate from Amrita University, just completed my GSoC 2014 project with Italian Mars Society. I am also an open source enthusiast and have contributed to some of the open source organization such as Mozilla, IMS, Fedora, Tor, Ubuntu etc.","* Completed GSoC 2014 project with Italian Mars Society
* Contributed to some open source organizations
",Getting started with python unit testing,"* Overview of Unit testing
* Advantages of unit testing
* Different python frameworks available for unit testing in Python
* How to write a unit test using python unit testing frame work
* Demonstration with some examples",Intermediates,Others,No,