Re: Updates

in-line :-

On 9/4/14, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> Quoting shirish शिरीष (2014-09-04 01:42:16)
>> On 9/4/14, Vipin Nair <swvist@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it because we trying to fill in empty slots? I do not see why
>>> having fewer talks is an issue, if we have not enough people who can
>>> talk on the subject.
>>
>> Haven't you looked at the schedule. There are 16 slots if it's going
>> to be a single track event only. From what we have explored and
>> thought about there would be 16 slots for Debian and 8-10 odd talks
>> that have come from the host institution.
>>
>> There were and are multiple reasons why we said yes to having these
>> talks and try to those intentions.
>
> Sorry, I missed your answer to the question.  Is it to fill empty slots?

Jonas,
Not at all. We HAVE 16 slots EXCLUSIVELY for Debian. Nothing has been
touched there. The other 8 slots are for FOSS which is a separate
track altogether . As of now, we don't have activities for those 16
slots except for :-

a. History of Debian
b. Debian installation
c. common shell commands
d. Packaging 4-5 slots .

We still have 9 slots still to be filed for Debian and am ASKING
everybody to share their talks or proposals. IF people do not come
forward with proposals and talks you can't blame us.

>> while we would be having a Debian track, we do not want to deprive
>> enthusiasts from exploring those topics.
>
> How is it "depriving"?
>
> A football camp would not "deprive" anyone from playing tennis.
>
> Having tennis as 2/3 of a programme for a football camp is... odd.
>
> Re-label the event to be a sports camp, and it would not be odd.

Nope it's 1/3rd of a programme and not 2/3rd . I have no idea from
where you thought it's 2/3rd's.

>> It is Debian centric, what we don't want is to force students one way
>> or the other. There is a fine line between advise and force.
>
> Banning tennis ketchers at the venue - to avoid playing other games than
> football even outside of the official schedule - would be bad.
>
> Turning down requests at the planning stage for reserving a slot in the
> programmme for a tennis match - at a football camp - is not bad.  Not
> even if that means that slot won't be filled at all.
>
> If then charging an entrance fee for the event, some might feel that
> they got too little for their money if not all slots were filled with
> high-profile activities.  But that's not an issue for an open-for-all
> no-fee Debian conference - or did I miss something?

As of right now the only sponsor we have is Debian and that again is
ONLY limited to traveling expenses of Jaldhar Vyas to and fro from the
venue. We have no idea as to the number of people signing up from
outside the host institution. The entrance fee is one of the tools to
ensure that the budget balances out. If and when we get more sponsors,
there is a possibility that we may not even have to use the entrance
fees part. From whatever little information I have been able to get,
the institute is in a sort of remote village area, so most or all of
the attendees/delegates would have to use the host institution's
resources for both lodging and boarding. As we have no idea either of
the sponsors (at this point of time), or number of delegates from
outside the institution we are hoping to use it as a tool of last
resort in case the budget doesn't add up. It's only when events are
self-balancing as far as budgets go that we can think of future events
as well. If the host institution ends up footing the bill for the
entire event I don't think we would have good terms with them.