Re: Dpkg testing framework and Ubuntu's automated testing

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: Dpkg testing framework and Ubuntu's automated testing"):
> Functional tests generally test some user-exposed functionality of the
> package and therefore usually don't require access to anything other than
> the public interface of the package.  Unit tests are tests of specific
> internal components and therefore frequently exercise internal APIs and
> have to be built as part of a built source tree (rather than applied to
> the final binaries).

Thanks for the explanation; that's more or less what I thought but it
didn't seem to apply: I don't think there are any unit tests for dpkg.

Most of the internal functionality is reasonable accessible and
testable from the external interfaces, so I don't think inventing a
bunch of unit tests would make a great deal of sense.

Ian.