Dpkg testing framework and Ubuntu's automated testing (was: Re: Dpkg testing framework, take 5)

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:09:32PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> [...]
> If the tests do not take an inordinate time to run (as a rule of
> thumb, if they're not more time-consuming than the build itself) then
> you should run them automatically as part of the build.  Otherwise
> they should be left to be run manually.

    OK. They should not consume too much time. If they grow, we can always
move them away to just manual mode.

> I would also like to make a request: please try to make it relatively
> straightforward to run the tests on the installed version of the
> package, on the running system, as well as in the obvious `playground'
> style.  This will make whole-system testing much easier.

    OK. When talking about testing the installed version of the package, you
mean only functional tests, right?

    I will give that a thought. At first sight, it should be pretty easy:
just making some paths configurable (programs and scripts paths, and the dpkg
root directory). I will try to come up with a more or less general solution,
so new test writers don't have to take into account the path problem...

    Thanks for you comments,

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso@debian.org>
Help spread it through the Net in signatures, webpages, whatever!