Re: Dpkg testing framework, take 5 (was: Re: How are things going?)

Esteban Manchado Velázquez writes ("Re: Dpkg testing framework, take 5 (was: Re: How are things going?)"):
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 03:36:16PM +0200, Nicolas François wrote:
> > Is the testsuite intended to be run at build time, or manually?
>
>     My initial idea was manually, mostly because it fits my testing style
> better, but I don't know.

If the tests do not take an inordinate time to run (as a rule of
thumb, if they're not more time-consuming than the build itself) then
you should run them automatically as part of the build.  Otherwise
they should be left to be run manually.

I would also like to make a request: please try to make it relatively
straightforward to run the tests on the installed version of the
package, on the running system, as well as in the obvious `playground'
style.  This will make whole-system testing much easier.

In particular, it will make it easier to grind my automated in-system
testing axe (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomatedTesting).

Ian.