Re: debiandoc-sgml can build ps/pdf files for CJK :-)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 11:14:29AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > Croatian should have this as well, and presumably a few other related
> > > languages, too. I use „ and ” in HTML for that.
> >
> > For ease of reading we decided to write SGML source as:
> > Dokument o nazwie: ,,&book-title;''
> >
> > If we need to use '' in source which really needs to be '', we use
> > '' for ''.
> >
> > Then normal out put by debiandoc-sgml are fixed by:
> >
> > For text, we convert it with:
> > perl -i -p -e 's/,,/"/g;' -e "s/''/\"/g;" $2
> >
> > Dokument o nazwie: "Debian Reference" zawiera informacje
> >
> > For HTML, we convert it with:
> >         for xx in *.html ;
> >         do
> >                 perl -i -p -e 's/,,/„/g;' -e "s/''/”/g;" $xx
> >         done
> >
> > Dokument o nazwie: „Debian Reference” zawiera
> >
> > For Latex:
> > # use double quotes ,,text'', LaTeX: "`text"'
> > sed -e "s/\`\`/\"\`/g" -e "s/,,/\"\`/g" -e "s/''/\"'/g" > $file.tmp
>
> I think those silly hacks should be replaced with “ and ” or
> something like that.

True.  it is a good idea for source to be standard.  I will do so by
providing tool to convert the source.  (I did this since the source came
in this manner mainly.  So I standardized on it.)

> > > It should be possible to use more default Unicode fonts. I'm not thrilled
> > > about having to download gobs of new fonts to get something I should
> > > already have.
> >
> > Do you get characters equivalent of „ ” in your latain-2
> > encoding system in plain text or source code?  That was the issue.
>
> Sorry, what? My paragraph above was referring to CJK, not the Slavic quotes
> issue.

So you have been using ldquo; and ” for sources.  Then I will ask
my Polish translator to consider this.

> (BTW, 8221/8222 decimal is 201D/201E hexadecimal, but that's HTML, I doubt
> SGML would let me do the same.)

Hahaha... you got me :-)