Re: debiandoc-sgml can build ps/pdf files for CJK :-)

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 05:04:11PM -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> Cool!  Great you guys got this to work. :-)

I was a release for me.

> Any specific instructions about additional packages needed, special setups,
> etc.  If so, we might want to add this to e.g. the README in the package.

Actually, your latex source output routine needs to be changed. We fixed
this in the following manner.

1.  Copy debiandoc2latex{pdf|ps} locally.  Add few lines to enable
    running simple script on created tex files before building ps|pdf
    files.
2.  Change Makefile to use local hacked version of
    debiandoc2latex{pdf|ps}
3.  Change to source is done by bin/fixlatex for simplicity (If you
    adopt this kind of output for tex source codes, I know you do it
    differently to impliment.)
4.  Add few new dependencies.

Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper (>> 3.0.0), debiandoc-sgml(>= 1.1.67), tetex-bin, tetex-extra, w3m (>= 0.3) | w3m-ssl (>= 0.3) | w3mmee (>= 0.3), cjk-latex, freetype1-tools, tfm-arphic-bsmi00lp, tfm-arphic-bkai00mp, tfm-arphic-gbsn00lp, tfm-arphic-gkai00mp, hbf-jfs56, hbf-cns40-b5, hbf-kanji48

So this is not a simple fix by configuration.  I would like you to read
and include these functionalities from my source when you find a time.

Here is some more issues:

In this process, Jens realized your new latex generator sends most high
bit codes to the source as is.  It works for latain-1 but is problematic
for other encodings.  The character created by © is one I can
recall.  Jens told me "In Woody \textcopyright{} is used instead of © =
(c) as in Sid.".

Also Polish requested their quoting done nicely.  bin/fixhtml and
bin/fixtxt gives you what was going on.

    ,,text to be quoted''  this is how they do it.

Jens also told me that "It was also necessary to remove the "hyperref"
package for dvi and ps targets (it's supported in Woody) in addition to
pdf. ".

To build my source now, you must be either Woody or Sid(unstable).
Sarge candidate(testing) seems to fail.

Also Jens now has interesting twist for latex build processes.

I know the line for Build-Depends-Indep: is somewhat excessive but I am
ready for Japanese and Korean too.  w3m is not needed for
debiandoc-sgml.

To gain CVS read access to the latest source:

 $ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.qref.sf.net:/cvsroot/qref
 $ cvs login
 Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.qref.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/qref
 CVS password:
 $ cvs co -d debian-reference qref

I still do not see 1.06-2 package yet.

Anyway, I see my effort is just an stop-gap for i18n.  I think use of
Unicode (that means move toward dookbook-xml tool) may be the real
solution.  I hope my solution has some use until then.  After all
dookbook-xml seems to be still new and buggy thing if we want to
build PS/PDF.

It is impressive for me to see Chinese displayed on my X with xpdf or gv.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Osamu