Re: debiandoc-sgml can build ps/pdf files for CJK :-)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 10:02:39AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Also Polish requested their quoting done nicely.  bin/fixhtml and
> > > bin/fixtxt gives you what was going on.
> > >
> > >     ,,text to be quoted''  this is how they do it.
> >
> > Croatian should have this as well, and presumably a few other related
> > languages, too. I use „ and ” in HTML for that.
>
> For ease of reading we decided to write SGML source as:
> Dokument o nazwie: ,,&book-title;''
>
> If we need to use '' in source which really needs to be '', we use
> '' for ''.
>
> Then normal out put by debiandoc-sgml are fixed by:
>
> For text, we convert it with:
> perl -i -p -e 's/,,/"/g;' -e "s/''/\"/g;" $2
>
> Dokument o nazwie: "Debian Reference" zawiera informacje
>
> For HTML, we convert it with:
>         for xx in *.html ;
>         do
>                 perl -i -p -e 's/,,/„/g;' -e "s/''/”/g;" $xx
>         done
>
> Dokument o nazwie: „Debian Reference” zawiera
>
> For Latex:
> # use double quotes ,,text'', LaTeX: "`text"'
> sed -e "s/\`\`/\"\`/g" -e "s/,,/\"\`/g" -e "s/''/\"'/g" > $file.tmp

I think those silly hacks should be replaced with “ and ” or
something like that.

> > > I know the line for Build-Depends-Indep: is somewhat excessive but I am
> > > ready for Japanese and Korean too.
> >
> > > I think use of Unicode (that means move toward dookbook-xml tool) may be
> > > the real solution.
> >
> > It should be possible to use more default Unicode fonts. I'm not thrilled
> > about having to download gobs of new fonts to get something I should
> > already have.
>
> Do you get characters equivalent of „ ” in your latain-2
> encoding system in plain text or source code?  That was the issue.

Sorry, what? My paragraph above was referring to CJK, not the Slavic quotes
issue.

(BTW, 8221/8222 decimal is 201D/201E hexadecimal, but that's HTML, I doubt
SGML would let me do the same.)

> > OTOH it's possible that e.g. the default Chinese font looks
> > as crude as the default Latin font and is unsuitable for PDFs...
>
> Actually, I thought Chinese font itself was nice in X on my unstable
> system.

I'll trust you on that -- I couldn't read Chinese to save my life, let alone
distinguish fonts :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.