Re: what needs doing?

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 11:05:30AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> I think the most necessary thing to do is to update the Installation manual
> to potato (presuming that hasn't already been done).

OK.  This is a bit out of my league, since I don't have a machine
available to play round with and install-reinstall potato.

> Other nice things you could do is to write stuff for the Network
> Administrator and System Administrator manuals, since those aren't near
> completion yet... probably polish up anything else.

Righto.  This sounds like about my level.

> Take a look at the web pages, there's plenty of things to pick from. :)

I did.  I was just wondering if there was any preference that people
had.

Just out of interest, has anyone been through the process of looking at
what documentation exists, figuring out priorities for them, and doing
all that other project-managery-stuff?  It would be nice to be able to
see something like:

URGENT: Installation Guide (potato)
	- sub-task A (foo@bar.com working on this)
	  - sub-sub-task A1 (completed by foo@bar.com)
	  - sub-sub-task A2 (foo@bar.com working on this)
	- sub-task B (needs someone to do it!)
	- sub-task C (baz@quuz.com working on this)

At the moment, the most information I can glean from the DDP webpages is
"planned/stalled/obsolete" or un-classified.

> We use SGML, DebianDoc-SGML. That's also written on the web pages...
> http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp see the `Documentation policy' link.

OK, I read up on that.  Looks pretty straightforward.

> Check out things from the CVS, that's the most up-to-date copy for mostly
> everything. When you make modifications worthy of commiting, send patches to
> us, at least until the team leader (or whoever responsible) gives you
> read/write access.

OK.  Attached is a vague outline of the System Administration manual's
chapter on Users.  I took what was there and roughed out some areas that
I thought should be covered.  Can someone tell me whether I'm heading in
the right direction?  I'd rather proceed slowly and get lots of feedback
at this point, as I'm sure you (plural) understand.

K.

--
Kirrily Robert -- <skud@netizen.com.au> -- http://netizen.com.au/
Internet and Open Source Development, Consulting and Training

    <chapt id="sysadmin-users">

      <heading>Managing User Accounts</heading>

	author = ?

	topics = ?
      <sect>
        <heading>Concepts</heading>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>Usernames and User IDs</heading>
	</sect1>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>Groups and Group IDs</heading>
	</sect1>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>Quotas</heading>
	</sect1>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>User passwords</heading>
	</sect1>
      </sect>

      <sect>
      <heading>Common tasks</heading>
        <sect1>
	  <heading>Adding new users</heading>
	</sect1>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>Creating groups</heading>
	</sect1>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>Setting up quotas</heading>
	</sect1>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>Changing user passwords</heading>
	</sect1>
	<sect1>
	  <heading>Removing user accounts</heading>
	</sect1>
      </sect>

      <sect>
        <heading>Tools reference</heading>
        <sect1>
          <heading>Command-line tools</heading>
	  <sect2>
	    <heading>adduser</heading>
	  </sect2>
	  <sect2>
	    <heading>passwd</heading>
	  </sect2>
        </sect1>
        <sect1>
          <heading>Graphical tools</heading>
	</sect1>
      </sect>

      <sect>
        <heading>Files reference</heading>
        <sect1>
          <heading>/etc/passwd</heading>
        </sect1>
        <sect1>
          <heading>/etc/group</heading>
        </sect1>
      </sect>
    </chapt>

<!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
Local variables:
mode: sgml
sgml-omittag:t
sgml-shorttag:t
sgml-minimize-attributes:nil
sgml-always-quote-attributes:t
sgml-indent-step:2
sgml-indent-data:t
sgml-parent-document:"system-administrator.sgml chapt sect"
sgml-exposed-tags:nil
sgml-local-catalogs:"/usr/lib/sgml/catalog"
sgml-local-ecat-files:nil
End:
-->