Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 07:05:01PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > No, it is not a problem. It is nothing :'< I didn't even knew that
> > there are :(
>
> Well, I think whoever puts together the DDP/www.debian.org pages
> should collect the translations and put them in the right place.
> Optimally, we could keep the SGML in the DDP cvs area; eventually we
> should be looking to break out language-independant parts of the SGML,
> i.e., in entities, like I do with the boot-floppies installation
> document.  Thats my HO, of course.

We should collect the translations, definitely. Wherever they are
put, it'll be better than now.
I suppose it won't hurt if we put them in DDP CVS, at least for now.

> >> I agree with JT that we should only put *officially* released info
> >> under www.debian.org/doc/
>
> > How would you define officially? Just the documents that were
> > released with hamm (at the moment, soon that'll be slink), and these
> > versions?  If so, that removes any need to use DDP's current
> > resources.
>
> I think I disagree.  For one, the only facility for this is the
> 'byhand' entries in the changes file.  I don't think it's really
> appropriate or a good idea to populate all the DDP/www.debian.org
> pages this way.  Another reason this isn't such a good idea is that
> the people who handle Incoming is ftp-admin, now wwwmasters.
>
> I propose we just do 'make PREFIX=/org/www.debian.org/doc/manuals
> developers-reference' when, say, the developers-reference package is
> released, i.e., just do it manually at the proper time.
>
> I wish I could think of a even better way...

If I understand this correctly, you are saying that there are other
files except the .deb, .dsc, .tar.gz and the .changes file needed
to build a documentation package, so they need to be put in the
.changes file as a 'byhand' entry?
Hm, I haven't yet packaged my document, will this be really neccessary?

Anyhow, ITYM that when a important (define that as errors corrected)
update happens with some document, it gets packaged, but someone also
tells JT to execute the command, and put it on the web, right?

> > JT just needs to unpack the appropriate .debs in right
> > places and that is it.  Presuming, that we have .debs for the
> > official documents, do we?
>
> Well, in some cases we do; in cases where we don't, and we should.
> Packaging up documentation .debs is easy -- I'd be glad to help here
> where we can.

We should make a list of non-packaged docs and package them for potato.

> > Then I propose that $(www.debian.org)/doc/maint-guide gets removed
> > from that location, since it wouldn't belong there.
>
> Well, I guess that depends on whether we really feel that *only*
> packaged docs be in the DDP/www.debian.org pages.

I don't like it that way, but I'm not the one who'll make the decision,
and it seemed to me that you wanted it that way.

> > All of it would work instantly? Then why didn't anyone come to this
> > before?
>
> Well, we planned it to work.  The reason it hasn't been done is simply
> that Oliver hasn't done it and no one else has stepped up.  Wanna step
> up?

Ehm, I can't write on the web repository, webmaster must do it, right?

I suppose we should start making list of commands to execute. It seems
that he just has to create the /doc/manuals/ directory, go to the DDP
CVS repository directory, and execute:
make PREFIX=/org/www.debian.org/doc/manuals
Presuming that first target will execute all others.

I'll investigate more about the exact paths, I don't know all of them
exactly.

> >> Leave cvs:ddp/webpages as is and do *not* try to shim them into the
> >> website.
>
> > Most of its contents will be incorporated in /doc/index.wml, anyhow,
> > or do we wish just to do this, and not point anyone to the new
> > locations? :)
>
> Well, I think we still want the DDP developer pages with the nightly
> autobuild and source access, but also the "official"
> DDP/www.debian.org pages for "released" (whatever that means)
> documentation.

Yes, doc/* files should be kind of 'static', but should list all the
documents like the 'manuals' section of DDP pages does, and link to
their doc/manuals/whatever location.
I already offered to make them. Probably I'll take most relevant
information from existing DDP pages, divide it, redo all the links,
and polish it up.

> BTW, do you know WML pretty well?  Maybe you could help me out a bit
> on an unrelated issue?

I don't, sorry.