Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 05:58:13PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> What we could now, is to create the preffered directory structure under
> /doc/, and making a small symlink farm ( :) ) in these directories that
> would point to the current locations of debian-doc documents.
> That would enable all the stuff you are saying, without actual moving
> of the HTML documents from their current locations (we'd do that later).
> Lets say first:
> /doc/ -- the toplevel index files
>      stable -- index files for 'stable' docs
>            tutorial -- index.$LANG.html -> symlink to $LANG/index.html
>                    en -- \
>                    fr     --- language specific versions of docs
>                    de -- /
What's the point? Why not simply put all the languages together?

>            policy
>      unstable
>              tutorial
>              policy
> The documents in 'stable' directory would be picked either by the version
> in current stable release, or by stability of the doc. We could rename
> these to 'finished' and 'current' or something else.
> That way, when /devel/index.html would need to reference Debian Policy
> document, then you'd point it to http://www.debian.org/doc/stable/policy
> (or relative link), and not have to worry, since the debian-doc group
> would actually pick the doc to put on that location(s).
Why put the development version in the Debian web space? It then gets
unnecessarily mirrored all over which wastes bandwidth and disk space
(some of the mirrors don't have a lot of extra space).

Also, what is the purpose of all the symlinks? All this can be better handled
by CVS. Doing a 'cvs checkout /cvs/ddp/stable' (or something similar) could
grab the stable branch.  If the files needed to be further processed, that
can be done on master.

Jay Treacy