Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 12:15:13AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>   >What exactly needs to be done? I'd say we should rearrange the whole
>   >site, move all the documents on the site to /doc/ subdirectory,
>   >and surely, remove ~elphick/ from the DDP address. No offense to
>   >Oliver Elphick, but only by looking at the address (picture yourself
>   >as a common net-surfer) it seems like some dark personal movement
>   >hidden deep inside Debian :)
>
> I have no objection; the reason it is there is that that is the only
> web space I have write access to.  If one of the web administrators will
> set it up in the `official' space, I will be happy to cooperate.

CVS admins: can we arrange that all Debian documentation gets included
somewhere 'closer' to the web CVS tree?

For start, I'm asking:
 - to copy everything from the directory /cvs/debian-doc/ddp/webpages/
   to a new directory /cvs/webwml/webwml/doc/ddp/
 - can I (account is 'joy') get write permission in /cvs/webwml/webwml/doc/
   directory.

Since there would be no Makefile in that new directory, nothing would be
disturbed, right? I wouldn't touch current index.wml, for now, or the
original page.
I plan to examine current build process of the pages in this directory
(Oliver, you can give me some more info on that?), and then convert
existing documents to the WML format.

Currently, biggest favor anyone could do to me, is to tar.bz2 that
directory, and put it somewhere with fast ping time to www.gkvk.hr
or www.srce.hr. Currently, my link to va is awful. :(

> If someone would like to take over the role of co-ordinator, I would be
> happy, too.  I am better at getting things started than running them, and
> the occasion of a move such as is being suggested would be a good time to
> pass on the baton.
>
> I should also like to encourage efforts to link the Debian manuals more
> closely, perhaps by cross-referencing, to the LDP and other external
> documentation, so long as there is a suitable licence for the external
> stuff.  Again, this is something that the co-ordinator should be doing,
> but I don't have the time for -- another good reason to bow out.

Unfortunately I don't have enough time/experience/anything to take
that assignment, but I can help you with these other issues.