Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 04:07:15PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> CVS admins: can we arrange that all Debian documentation gets included
> somewhere 'closer' to the web CVS tree?
>
> For start, I'm asking:
>  - to copy everything from the directory /cvs/debian-doc/ddp/webpages/
>    to a new directory /cvs/webwml/webwml/doc/ddp/
>  - can I (account is 'joy') get write permission in /cvs/webwml/webwml/doc/
>    directory.

I see no reason for the CVS to be moved. Even more, different people are
working on the docs and the web pages so this would actually inconvenience
many people. The important thing here is that the documentation be
made available in a consistent way.

> Since there would be no Makefile in that new directory, nothing would be
> disturbed, right? I wouldn't touch current index.wml, for now, or the
> original page.
> I plan to examine current build process of the pages in this directory
> (Oliver, you can give me some more info on that?), and then convert
> existing documents to the WML format.

There is no reason to convert to using wml. Don't make this more work than
it needs to be. From the web pages point of view, we are simly looking for
a doc directory that has a well defined structure and pages that can be
served using content negotiation. Once that is set up, you don't need to
do anything until new docs are added or docs are rearranged.

We are even willing to do a cvs checkout to place the files into the
web space. This is trivial since it only requires anonymous cvs access.

The rest of the web pages can then create links into the doc directory
as needed. We do need to be notified as to the status of different docs
(developmental versus stable) so we know whether to link them.

The webmasters don't have the time to delve into every aspect of Debian - this
is a big project after all. That's why we need someone to say 'mirror this
set of files from here which are content negotiation ready' and 'the following
list of docs in that directory are ready for public release'.

Jay Treacy