Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 08:19:31PM +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> For Wine (and even a wider MinGW-w64
> ecosystem) we don’t need all that many source packages to be
> cross-satisfiable for the whole endeavour to be useful...

But you would still need to create and maintain the whole
infrastructure.

The larger picture is that there are at least 3 big topics:
- cross-architecture dependencies
- partial release architectures
- cross-building a release architecture

Every single of these topics would be a huge amount of work.

If you need all 3 as basis for a solution for Wine,
then that's simply not realistic in the foreseeable future.

> The regressions are significant though: if packages can’t stay
> cross-satisfiable for Debian cross-targets, there’s little hope they can stay
> cross-satisfiable for Windows! This means that separate source packages are
> probably the only viable option.

Separate source packages don't bring any real benefits compared to
just bundling and building everything in src:wine.

Either would likely imply that Wine in Debian comes without security
support, and the Release Notes stating that Wine should only be used
for trusted local contents.

> Regards,
>
> Stephen

cu