Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 17:39:25 +0200, Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> wrote:
> I believe I can speak with my "main cross building porter" hat on.
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 01:57:44PM +0000, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> > They are a full color gradiant between:
> > - freestanding arches pure cross compile without any depends except
> > arch:all
> > - partial cross built arch
> > - partial arch
> > - full arch
> >
> > I believe the first step to get partial cross built arch is to begin
> > by freestanding arch.
>
> Certainly not. As much as I would love to see this happen, it is very
> unrealistic. wine can quite simply use -$arch-cross:all packages like
> very other bare metal target and switch to our pipe dream once it is
> ready (if ever).

And even that assumes that we can get agreement on what $arch should be for
Windows targets :-(.

> cross building is very far off becoming the thing you want it to be. It
> presently has a bus factor of around 1.5. Around 59% of source packages
> are cross-satisfiable. Around 78% of cross-satisfiable packages are
> cross buildable. In other words: less than 50% of packages are cross
> buildable. Beyond that, the cross porters cannot keep up with the
> current rate of regressions. Fractions are falling.

The bus factor is indeed a problem. For Wine (and even a wider MinGW-w64
ecosystem) we don’t need all that many source packages to be
cross-satisfiable for the whole endeavour to be useful...

The regressions are significant though: if packages can’t stay
cross-satisfiable for Debian cross-targets, there’s little hope they can stay
cross-satisfiable for Windows! This means that separate source packages are
probably the only viable option.

> To make cross building a viable thing we'd need at least three more
> porters determined to make it happen. Talk doesn't make it happen.
> Patches do. Let me know if you want to help. I'll get you started.

Is the process documented anywhere? Or does one simply pick a failure from
http://crossqa.debian.net and figure out what’s going wrong (and hope that
pulling the threads doesn’t reveal a monster...)?

Regards,

Stephen