Re: Making Debian available

[ Catching up on this thread a little late... ]

Ansgar wrote:
>On Fri, 2021-01-15 at 15:30 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2021-01-15 12:11:06 +0100 (+0100), Emanuele Rocca wrote:
>> [...]
>> > So the current situation is that we make an active effort to
>> > produce two different types of installation media: one that works
>> > for all users, and one broken for most laptops.
>> [...]
>>
>> The one you say "works for all users" doesn't "work" for me because
>> it contains proprietary closed-source software I don't want.
>
>Then don't install them?
>
>Debian's Social Contract states "We encourage CD manufacturers to read
>the licenses of the packages in these areas [non-free & contrib] and
>determine if they can distribute the packages on their CDs."  Maybe we
>should do that for the CD images we manufacture? :)

There's a major difference here - do we want Debian's *official* media
to include non-free stuff? We've had this discussion a few times,
including in person back at DC15 at least. Back then, the overwhelming
response was *no*. We can change that, but it's not something to do
lightly.

We *can* do a better job of pointing people at the media with non-free
firmware included. I've added a few more links in various places, but
IMHO we desperately need a better set of download (etc.) pages rather
than just bodging changes in to the existing inadequate pages. See
#819664, for example.

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane