Re: Making Debian available

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 12:08:35 +0100, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org>
wrote:
>It's not very relevant today anymore, but my first Linux distributions
>(including Debian) were actually store-bought. If we had needed to rely
>on firmware back then (which we did not) and would it not have been
>included in the box, the user would have been pretty much out of luck.
>Especially on the networking side. I guess the end result is the
>equivalent of shipping a separate driver disk with all the non-free bits. :(

The only worse experience I can think of was late Windows XP, when
having floppy disk drives was already out of fashion, but the only
praticable¹ way of getting the drivers needed for the installer to see
the disks into the installer was a floppy disk.

Greetings
Marc

¹ short of having a second CD-ROM drive
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |