Re: [External] Re: Intel SOF audio firmware packaging

owner 960788 markpearson@lenovo.com
quit

 ❦ 11 décembre 2020 12:15 -05, Mark Pearson:

>>> I did have to comment out "overlay = True" in the gbp.conf - it gave me
>>> an error that I'll have to dig into.
>>
>> That's because you went for the first "classic" solution. I was pushing
>> for the overlay solution as the upstream git repository is pushing some
>> big files at each release and your git repository will become bigger and
>> bigger. With the overlay solution, you only have a debian/latest branch
>> and the user is expected to retrieve the tarball to make it work (this
>> is automated by uscan, thanks to the debian/watch).
> Ah - that makes sense.
> Should I be looking at changing what I've done or is the current
> solution OK? I'd like to get it as right as it can be.
>>
>> However, you can keep your repository as is and add to gbp.conf:
>>
>> upstream-branch = stable-v1.6
>> upstream-tag = v1.6-rc3
>> pristine-tar = False
> Great - I've updated the repository with this change. Thank you.
>>
>> This should do the trick. You may want to tag the upstream commit
>> yourself with upstream/1.6 if you upstream is not consistent with
>> tagging (which seems the case).
> I'm not sure what I need to do here - do I create a tag on my repository
> with the name 1.6 on the v1.6-rc3 branch?
> Just want to make sure I do the right steps :)

Well, for all these questions, upstream versioning strategy is
confusing. There is the branch stable-v1.6. There is the v1.6-rc3 which
is not part of the stable-v1.6 branch. We need to have a stable version
number. Either the branch stable-v1.6 doesn't move anymore or there are
tags, but upstream is inconsistent because there is no tag others than
v1.6-rc3. Other users are complaining about this as well:

https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin/issues/25

They seem to say future releases will be tagged. So, I think you should
use in gbp.conf:

upstream-tag = v%(version%~%-)s
pristine-tar = False

No need for upstream-branch since you won't use "gbp import-orig" as the
origin lives directly in git repository.

And you need to use 1.6~rc3-1 in debian/changelog since this is the
version you are packaging (1.6~rc3 and the -1 is the Debian part).
1.6~rc3 orders before 1.6 while 1.6-rc3 orders after, that's why we want
to use "~", while upstream uses "-".

Also, debian/watch is incorrect as it is watching branches instead of tags.
You need to fix it with:

version=4
opts="filenamemangle=s%(?:.*?)?v?(\d.*)\.tar\.gz%@PACKAGE@-$1.tar.gz%;s%-rc%~rc%" \
 https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin/tags \
 (?:.*?/)?v?(\d.*)\.tar\.gz debian uupdate

You can test with "uscan --report --verbose".

As for using an overlay or not, let's stick to your current strategy. If
the repository becomes too big, it's always possible to start a new one.
Not using an overlay is easier for everybody since it's the most common
workflow.

>> You may want to either rename firmware-sof-signed.install to install or
>> rename postinst to firmware-sof-signed.postinst. The #!/bin/sh is
>> missing at the top of the postinst script.
> I think I've fixed this now

You also added "#v+" and "#v-" markers. It was not part of the file.
Some mailers use this to mark code blocks, that's why I have added them.
It was unclear, sorry.

Also, nitpicking, but either use:

 - firmware-sof-signed.install and firmware-sof-signed.postinst
 - install and postinst

Since you have only one binary package, it's equivalent, but it's just
better to not mix the two.

Everything else looks good.

> As I understand it the next step is to find a DM or DD who can sponsor
> this? Any recommendations on how that process works?

Usually, you can go through mentors.debian.net, upload your package
there and file an "RFS" (request for sponsor). But you don't really need
to do that as I can upload it for you. So, fix the last details above,
I'll do another review and I'll upload if anything is correct.

Also, did you test the package on real hardware or do you need me to
test it? I can test it, I just need to spend 10 minutes doing it.

We should also take over the RFS. We were a bit fast in this process. I
am doing that in this email as well for you (with you as owner). We'll
wait a few days if anyone protests.
		-- Mark Twain