Re: [External] Re: Intel SOF audio firmware packaging

Hi Vincent

On 10/12/2020 13:53, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦ 10 décembre 2020 12:57 -05, Mark Pearson:
>
>> I did have to comment out "overlay = True" in the gbp.conf - it gave me
>> an error that I'll have to dig into.
>
> That's because you went for the first "classic" solution. I was pushing
> for the overlay solution as the upstream git repository is pushing some
> big files at each release and your git repository will become bigger and
> bigger. With the overlay solution, you only have a debian/latest branch
> and the user is expected to retrieve the tarball to make it work (this
> is automated by uscan, thanks to the debian/watch).
Ah - that makes sense.
Should I be looking at changing what I've done or is the current
solution OK? I'd like to get it as right as it can be.

> However, you can keep your repository as is and add to gbp.conf:
>
> upstream-branch = stable-v1.6
> upstream-tag = v1.6-rc3
> pristine-tar = False
Great - I've updated the repository with this change. Thank you.

> This should do the trick. You may want to tag the upstream commit
> yourself with upstream/1.6 if you upstream is not consistent with
> tagging (which seems the case).
I'm not sure what I need to do here - do I create a tag on my repository
with the name 1.6 on the v1.6-rc3 branch?
Just want to make sure I do the right steps :)

> You may want to either rename firmware-sof-signed.install to install or
> rename postinst to firmware-sof-signed.postinst. The #!/bin/sh is
> missing at the top of the postinst script.
I think I've fixed this now

> Most firmware-* packages seem to ship to /lib/firmware, not
> /usr/lib/firmware. As I am using a usr-merged system (this is the
> default now), I don't see a difference. From my understanding, in the
> future, packages need to ship this way. I think Linux will look into
> /lib/firmware only and therefore, this will fail on non-usr-merged
> systems. You can fix that by modifying the install file with:
>
> builddir/usr/lib /
I've applied this fix - thank you

> In debian/control, you also need to add Vcs-Browser and Vcs-Git fields
> to point to Salsa. Also, maybe the source pakcage could be
> `firmware-sof` instead of sof-bin, to match your repository name. Just
> update debian/control and debian/changelog.
I added the Vcs fields - hoepfully correctly.
Source has been updated to match the repo name

> Everything else looks OK for me.

Thank you for all the pointers - very much appreciated.

Let me know if you spot anything else that is wrong or can be improved.

As I understand it the next step is to find a DM or DD who can sponsor
this? Any recommendations on how that process works?

Thanks
Mark