Intel SOF audio firmware packaging

Hi Debian,

I'd like to solve the lack of Intel SOF audio firmware & topology files being available on Debian - I know it's impacting a lot of users on some of the newer Thinkpads. I figured I should have a stab at this exercise myself and see what happens.

I did a bit of reading this weekend, and started the process. Having created appropriate files under a debian sub-dir, and messed around a bit, now when running 'debuild -us -uc' from the 1.6 cloned branch of the sof-bin git repo I end up with a .deb file that I can install and makes audio work. Feels like progress :)

There are plenty of warnings along the way, and it's my first time doing this so I'm sure I'm doing all sorts of things wrong (there seems like a lot of different options on how to do this); but I figured I have a good starting point. I wasn't sure where to go with this next.

Is there anybody in the Debian community with the expertise to spend a bit of time guiding me through the next steps? I think I need someone who can review what I have done and point out where it needs fixing/improving. Once it's good enough then I think I need someone to help me actually get it uploaded and into Debian. There is a bug already available (https://bugs.debian.org/960788) if that helps. Obviously happy to share all the work I've done in an appropriate format if that helps too.

Note - I'm new to packaging, I'm not a SOF expert and I'm not a DM or a DD - so someone with patience for dumbass questions would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance

Mark