Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

Am Mittwoch, den 08.01.2020, 12:56 -0500 schrieb Noah Meyerhans:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 02:18:34PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > > Yeah, that's my reaction as well.  The point is to run the job
> > > periodically.
> >
> > No. The configuration says CRON=1. It doesn't say PERIODIC_CHECKS=1. Your
> > behavior here is pretty similar to Microsofts: Let the user decide if
> > updates
> > shouldn't be automatically installed and still install a bunch of them
> > automatically without his approval independent of his decision.
> >
> > I have enabled a cron-job, not a systemd timer unit. And I don't want you
> > silently override this.
>
> You haven't enabled a cron job, though.

I have. The configuration clearly states:

# Cronjob
# Set to anything but 0 to enable the cron job to automatically update
# spamassassin's rules on a nightly basis
CRON=1

[..]
> Had the variable been named PERIODIC_CHECKS or something like that,
> would your objections still stand?

If I would have just enabled periodic updates it would IMHO indeed give you
more freedom (as my own comment at the top already implies). I'd still ask you
to make a transition and make it transparent.

It would also be one possibility to transition from CRON=1 to
PERIODIC_UPDATES=1. If the latter is set, systemd should be used. Debconf can
be used to determine if this transition should be done automatically. Or
document it in README/NEWS.

Regards, Daniel