Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 02:43:08AM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > For upgrades from versions that did not include the timer, should I
> > enable the systemd timer if the user has set CRON=1?
>
> I disagree here. I don't want you to overrule my decision for a cron-script. If
> a user has enabled a cron-job you shouldn't change that to a systemd timer unit
> without the user's explicit approval.

I'm not sure that I take CRON=1 as meaning "I want to use cron forever".
I'd rather interpret it as "I want to enable spamassassin's daily
maintenance job".  The details of how it's accomplished aren't really
relevant, IMO.

> Please ask during installation and give the question an appropriate priority.
> By choosing the priority you can even achieve a "silent" transition for
> "normal" users and let more advanced users decide.

Yeah, that's probably the best way in terms of user flexibility.  I'm
not convinced it's necessary, though, and I don't like the idea of all
the other packages undergoing similar transitions all having to
introduce similar debconf questions.

noah