Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org> writes:
> Am Dienstag, den 07.01.2020, 20:19 -0800 schrieb Russ Allbery:

>> Yeah, that's my reaction as well.  The point is to run the job
>> periodically.

> No. The configuration says CRON=1. It doesn't say
> PERIODIC_CHECKS=1. Your behavior here is pretty similar to Microsofts:
> Let the user decide if updates shouldn't be automatically installed and
> still install a bunch of them automatically without his approval
> independent of his decision.

> I have enabled a cron-job, not a systemd timer unit. And I don't want
> you to silently override this.

I'm confused by why this matters so much to you, and maybe that would help
in making some forward progress rather than us all just repeating our own
opinions.

Could you be specific about what you prefer about a cron job over a
systemd timer unit?  If it's just that you are familiar with cron jobs and
not systemd timer units, I'm sympathetic but I don't think that's a very
strong argument for the additional complexity you're asking for.  Other
software in Debian is already using systemd timer units, so you're likely
to have to become familiar with them at some point regardless.  But if
there is some other concrete use case, I'd love to talk about it in
specific detail rather than just in generalities.

>> I share your dubiousness that adding tons of debconf prompts for cases
>> like this (there are likely to be a bunch of them) makes sense.

> If you share that "dubiousness" I really have to wonder why Noah himself
> raised the question in the first place.

Because this is how you do good technical design: Raise all the possible
feasible design alternatives so that they can be examined and considered.
Thank you for raising that one!  It's absolutely worth thinking about.