Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 02:43:08AM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:

>> I disagree here. I don't want you to overrule my decision for a
>> cron-script. If a user has enabled a cron-job you shouldn't change that
>> to a systemd timer unit without the user's explicit approval.

> I'm not sure that I take CRON=1 as meaning "I want to use cron forever".
> I'd rather interpret it as "I want to enable spamassassin's daily
> maintenance job".  The details of how it's accomplished aren't really
> relevant, IMO.

Yeah, that's my reaction as well.  The point is to run the job
periodically.  A timer unit is easier to enable and disable.  I think most
users (I'm one) will not care about how this is done.

The one exception I can think of is if someone really wants to customize
the job.  That can be a little more tedious to do with timer units.  Right
now, I think there's a bunch of logic in the /etc/cron.daily script that
someone could in theory change.  But I'm not sure how often that happens
or how useful that would be.

> Yeah, that's probably the best way in terms of user flexibility.  I'm
> not convinced it's necessary, though, and I don't like the idea of all
> the other packages undergoing similar transitions all having to
> introduce similar debconf questions.

I share your dubiousness that adding tons of debconf prompts for cases
like this (there are likely to be a bunch of them) makes sense.

Thank you for raising this!  I'm watching the thread closely since I think
the conclusions here should probably end up in Policy at least in part.